Bias prejudice perpetuating the great divides in humanity. Mairead Ashcroft 15/10/16

There are a lot of myths and preconceived notions about race, gender, sexuallity, physical and mental health, body size and weight, social status, and a multitude of other life elements. As individuals we may be somewhat limited to different aspects of another person's life experience due to our lack of exposure. I am a middle class, white, educated, middle aged woman living in Australia. I have no idea what life is like to exist in the body of a middle class, black, educated, teenaged young man living in England for example. I can imagine what it may be like but I am limited by my exposure to such a person, concepts portrayed in the media and general conversation which I am exposed to in my limited social circle. If I was a person who did not question the perceptions and biases that I am exposed to, I may believe all that I have seen and heard, both positive and negative and take it as fact. Human nature often leads us to search for evidence to back up our ideas, so it is possible that once I have developed an initial concept I may tend to search out facts that will fit my own story and disregard and throw away facts that might crush my preconceived story about a person and their lived experience. This is called biased prejudice.
"Biased prejudice is a strong inclination of the mind or perceived opinion about something or someone. A bias may be favourable or unfavourable; bias in favour or against an idea."(dictionary.com) Prejudice is an animalistic throwback to aid survival in times of danger. Reading situations could save you from a wolf or protect you from violent confrontation from an enemy clan. These situations may still be seen as real threats today for some but most of the prejudices that I experience and witness in my life are out of balance to the trueness of actuality.
For example, I recently found myself in the middle of a conversation with a woman who stated that "Homeless people are nothing but a nuisance and should get off the drugs and go and get a job." I shared that I also found it difficult to witness people experiencing homelessness on our streets and that I hoped that as a society we might work out better ways of solving this scourge within our society. We are both middle aged white women living in the same town but witness a terrible situation from very different perspectives. This woman has never had a conversation with a person experiencing homelessness other than to insult and berate them for their plight whereas I have had years of personal contact with people who are battling this very difficult situation. So what may actually be happening for this woman during these interaction. I am not well acquainted with her and therefor would only be making biased assumptions were I to give an opinion because this is all that it would be, my opinion developed from my own biased prejudices. Instead, might I ask you to think about your own bias prejudices and explore where they have developed from. Are they built from fear, for example? If so, is bias prejudice a possible protective factor and what are you being protected from?  Are your bias prejudices leaving a positive or negative impact on the world that we leave for our children? We may be more likely to learn the truth about ourselves and others by asking questions directly from the source of what or who we fear than we can by imposing our limited perspectives in order to create a convenient and safe truth.
Live your Bliss
Mairead
                                                                                

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

21 DIY Creative Crafts for Adults - By Abun & Life